Other students could shutdown your computer remotely no matter what you were doing. I always kept my shutdown /a batch script on my desktop to prevent this attack.
I'm using two operating systems for this tutorial, the first is Windows 7, and the other computer name is VishnuValentino on Virtual Box. I will show you how to shutdown the one on Virtual Box.
1. Command Prompt
2. Remote computer's credentials (don't ask for shortcut to get credentials, there are other tutorials for that on this blog.)
Step by step how to Shutdown Windows 7 Remotely:
1. Open up our command prompt (RUN and type cmd) and type shutdown /? to view the help file and knowing available switch.
Usage: shutdown [/i | /l | /s | /r | /g | /a | /p | /h | /e] [/f]
[/m \\computer][/t xxx][/d [p|u:]xx:yy [/c “comment”]]
No args Display help. This is the same as typing /?.
/? Display help. This is the same as not typing any options.
/i Display the graphical user interface (GUI).
This must be the first option.
/l Log off. This cannot be used with /m or /d options.
/s Shutdown the computer.
/r Shutdown and restart the computer.
/g Shutdown and restart the computer. After the system is
rebooted, restart any registered applications.
/a Abort a system shutdown.
This can only be used during the time-out period.
/p Turn off the local computer with no time-out or warning.
Can be used with /d and /f options.
/h Hibernate the local computer.
Can be used with the /f option.
/e Document the reason for an unexpected shutdown of a computer.
/m \\computer Specify the target computer.
/t xxx Set the time-out period before shutdown to xxx seconds.
The valid range is 0-315360000 (10 years), with a default of 30.
If the timeout period is greater than 0, the /f parameter is
/c "comment" Comment on the reason for the restart or shutdown.
Maximum of 512 characters allowed.
/f Force running applications to close without forewarning users.
The /f parameter is implied when a value greater than 0 is
specified for the /t parameter.
/d [p|u:]xx:yy Provide the reason for the restart or shutdown.
p indicates that the restart or shutdown is planned.
u indicates that the reason is user defined.
If neither p nor u is specified the restart or shutdown is
xx is the major reason number (positive integer less than 256).
yy is the minor reason number (positive integer less than 65536).
2. To shutdown the remote computer we need to run the command:
shutdown /s /f /m \\VishnuValentino
But when we execute that code, we will receive the code: message Access is Denied.(5).
3. This is because we haven't authenticated our computer to use the resources on the remote computer. To fix this error and authenticate our computer, we must enter the remote computer's credentials:
NET USE \\
Here is the screenshot when I execute the command:
I put the double quotes around the username because it contained a space.
4. Now we have authenticated ourselves to the remote computer and can run the shutdown command. We can run the shutdown command from Step 2 or add another control switch. When we execute the shutdown command again, this is the result on the remote computer:
Here is the video how to shutdown windows 7 remotely.
1. To prevent this attack just run the command: